Address: PO Box 107, Black Rock Vic 3193
Phone: +61 3 9589 6953
Community Leader: Rob Nichols
Board Chair: Ray Winn
L’Arche Melbourne is the newest of the L’Arche Communities in Australia. We are a community of over forty people who are committed to living the journey together. Traditionally L’Arche communities in Australia have been centred around households where folk with and without intellectual disability live together sharing daily life. Here in Melbourne we are living L’Arche in new ways:
- We have a have a “House of Welcome”, in the Melbourne bay side suburb of Black Rock. Here, Gerard and Cameron offer hospitality and support to the members of our Community with an intellectual disability, their families and other folk who are part of our Community. This can take the form of people coming over for a coffee, a meal or a few nights stay.
- We go to people’s homes to spend time with them when there is a need or sometimes just for fun!
- The whole Community gathers once a month at the local Uniting Church Hall. At these gatherings we spend time sharing stories, exploring a theme, praying and sharing a potluck meal. We’ve had poetry soirées, walked a labyrinth, watched the sunset on the beach, sung songs and danced. It is at our Gatherings that our whole community comes together.
- We are particularly connected with the families of the people with intellectual disability in our community. We recognize that ageing parents supporting and loving their sons and daughters with an intellectual disability often live a hidden life of anxiety and exhaustion. As a Community we offer two reflection days a year, just for parents, to have some time to connect, reflect and share. We are committed to building relationships with the parents of our members with intellectual disability
- We are supporting our members with intellectual disability to connect with services that enable them to have a good life.
- In addition to maintaining our current community, we are working towards having some of our members with intellectual disability come and live with us.
We are a diverse Community of people from many different backgrounds; we have poets, gardeners, buskers, business people, ministers, dancers, homemakers, lawyers and students. Why not come and share a cuppa with us and say G’day, we look forward to meeting you.
L’Arche Melbourne Newsletter
You can view our latest newsletter as a PDF.